Iranian Music & Dance


Persian Music - Homayoon - Nemitonam - YouTube. Perf. Homayoon. YouTube. 22 Sept. 2007. Web. 05 Jan. 2012. .

Lyrics:
"The person who was the only person I had,
was the only refuge of my lonely heart,
Left me alone and went from my side
I am restless form the pain of her separation

I thought she stays with me
sings love song for me
I thought she understand my words
I didn’t know she’s unkind

Though gone, but still
I am full of her love
Her thought is always with me
Wherever I go, she is in front of my eyes, in front of my eyes
I want to stand out
find a way to reduce my pain of her separation
But it is not possible, There is no way
I cannot bear
I cannot bear

The person who was the only person I had,
was the only refuge of my lonely heart,
Left me alone and went from my side
I am restless form the pain of her separation

I thought she stays with me
sings love song for me
I thought she understand my words
I didn’t know she’s unkind

Though gone, but still
I am full of her love
Her thought is always with me
Wherever I go, she is in front of my eyes, in front of my eyes
I want to stand out
find a way to reduce my pain of her separation
But it is not possible, There is no way
I cannot bear
I cannot bear"
Hemel. "Persian Music - Homayoon - Nemitonam English Lyrics." Web log post. DIARY OF MD AKBAR. 20 Feb. 2011. Web. 2011. .



"This is an Iranian dance style in which the female dancer mockingly imitates a (generally uncouth) man using a hat for a prop. Under Reza Shah in the 1930s, modernizing reforms included a dress code dictating that everyone had to wear Western-style clothing in public, and any man who wanted to get ahead or work for the civil service would certainly be sporting a fedora. One way of looking at this dance is as a subversive critique of the shah's regime, though of course people still perform it now, long after the Iranian royal family was deposed."

Alina Laureola Dancing Baba Karam at Saqarah - YouTube. Dir. Alina Laureola.YouTube. 10 Aug. 2009. Web. 05 Jan. 2012. .

3 comments:

  • Devon Wortmann | January 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

    It is so interesting to compare Iran's music videos compared to the ones in the United States. There are such extraordinary differences. Iran would be shocked by our music videos. They probably would not be allowed to be aired within the country! The dancing was also very interesting. The lady is dressed in a type of outfit a man would normally wear. She is fully covered unlike the dancers would be in the United States.

  • Keri | January 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

    Western videos are not supposed to get into the country, but of course people figure out ways.

  • ~Tanner | January 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM

    I have a friend who did a tour in Iran and was surprised at the DVD's they offered for sale in a market, saying some were even bootleg new releases.

Post a Comment